[libdvdcss-devel] xine fails to play dvds with libdvdcss 1.4.0
Giacomo Comes
2016-04-12 04:36:00 UTC
xine does not play anymore dvds if libdvdcss 1.4.0 is installed.

With libdvdcss 1 3.0 (and dvdread/dvdnav 5.0.3) xine plays regularly
a dvd and shows this output in the terminal:

libdvdnav: Using dvdnav version 5.0.3
libdvdread: Couldn't find device name.
libdvdnav: Can't read name block. Probably not a DVD-ROM device.
libdvdnav: vm: dvd_read_name failed
libdvdnav: DVD disk reports itself with Region mask 0x00000000. Regions: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

When I use libdvdcss 1.4.0 xine cannot play a dvd and in the terminal I get this message:

libdvdnav: Using dvdnav version 5.0.3
libdvdread: Couldn't find device name.
libdvdread: Could not open <DVD>/VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.IFO with libdvdcss.
libdvdread:DVDOpenFilePath:dvdinput_open <DVD>/VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.IFO failed
libdvdread: Could not open <DVD>/VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.BUP with libdvdcss.
libdvdread:DVDOpenFilePath:dvdinput_open <DVD>/VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.BUP failed
libdvdread: Can't open file VIDEO_TS.IFO.
libdvdnav: vm: failed to read VIDEO_TS.IFO

I bisected libdbdcss and I found the commit that causes the failure:

commit 6b95108d3de1755beab102b3a02ca7ef02494bd1
Author: Diego Biurrun <***@biurrun.de>
Date: Fri Nov 14 11:15:12 2014 +0100

Clean up and simplify raw device support.

Treat access to raw devices just like accessing any other device instead of
providing different semantics. libdvdcss now tries raw devices on all OSes
and bails out instead of continuing if accessing a raw device failed.

If I compile libdvdcss 1.4.0 reverting such commit, then xine works again.

Giacomo
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
2016-05-19 20:38:28 UTC
Post by Giacomo Comes
xine does not play anymore dvds if libdvdcss 1.4.0 is installed.
Can you try with the top of the git?

With my kindest regards,
--
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - +33 672 704 734
Sent from my Electronic Device
Giacomo Comes

Xavier Bachelot
Date: Fri Nov 14 11:15:12 2014 +0100
Clean up and simplify raw device support.
Treat access to raw devices just like accessing any other device instead of
providing different semantics. libdvdcss now tries raw devices on all OSes
and bails out instead of continuing if accessing a raw device failed.
If I compile libdvdcss 1.4.0 reverting such commit, then xine works again.
Giacomo
I had most probably a similar issue, /dev/rdvd was missing on my system.
I did not however try to bisect the git tree, I'm running plain 1.4.0.

I got ride of the issue by setting
""
media.dvd.raw_device:/dev/sr0
""
in the ~/.xine/config file.

I guess creating /dev/rdvd or symlinking it to a device that exists
should work too.

Does a similar trick help for you ?

You can get more logs from libdvdcss by setting DVDCSS_VERBOSE=2 prior
to running xine.

Regards,
Xavier
Giacomo Comes
Author: Diego Biurrun <diego at biurrun.de>
Date: Fri Nov 14 11:15:12 2014 +0100
[...]
I my case, the missing raw device is not an issue because the error
happens when I play a local copy of a dvd image.
I guess somewhere the code doesn't handle the raw device case
if the dvd content to access is in a directory.

Cheers,
Giacomo